Alright… I still can’t believe I did it! I’ve been eyeing NBR extensions ever since I came across @hairbychrissy on Instagram – the looks she creates are stunning and the method of installation she created doesn’t damage your hair AT ALL. As you can see, my normal hair without extensions is SUPER fine. Ever since I was a teenager, I’ve been experimenting with hair extensions and was really unhappy with all of them (i.e. tape ins, clip ins).
I got tape-ins when I was 19, and thought they were uncomfortable, didn’t blend seamlessly, and because I’m blonde, I wasn’t able to wear my hair in a high ponytail without them showing and they would come out when I was brushing my hair– yikes.
I first purchased Bellami clip in extensions in my early 20s and had them color matched to my hair and they worked great for events or quick things, but it was a hassle taking them in and out and after wearing them for a few hours they were super uncomfortable and would get dry easily.. SO after trying all these different types or extensions and after some Instagram stalking and looking on the Haircation salon locator, I found Kelsie Gibson from Gibson & Co Salon in Austin, TX, you can find her info on my Austin Beauty Guide HERE!! I booked a consultation and immediately after meeting her and hearing how knowledgeable she was with not only extensions, but color, I decided to book the installation!
That leads us to today! After over a year and a half of NBR, I’ve had them moved up many times and honestly don’t know why I didn’t get them sooner! I have three rows with a total of 10 wefts, and I can hardly feel like they’re in my head!!
Here are some of the FAQs y’all left for me on Instagram Stories:
- What kind of hair do you have? Kelsie uses a variety of hair.
- How do you sleep with extensions? Velvet scrunchies! I brush my hair out at night and apply some Ghost oil to the ends to keep my hair from getting dry overnight and it keeps it moisturized, also helping prevent tangling. Then, I tie it in a scrunchie behind the nape of my neck and that’s it – it’s bed time. I know a lot of girls with extensions who sleep with silk pillows, so I’m shopping the market for one I like right now
- How much does NBR cost? Your first initial service of NBR will range between $1,200 – $1,500 dollars. With this package your receive all of the hair needed, installation of extensions, color, cut, and style. This is the price of your total of your entire transformation! Moving forward, your upkeep every 6-8 weeks will range between $300-$500 depending on how many rows of NBR you wear.
- How many weeks can you go in-between service appointments? I’m planning on getting mine reset every 6-8 weeks, when I need my color done too. With these extensions, you can color them at the same time!
- How long does the hair last? The quality of the hair can last about a year before you want to replace it, as long as you take care of it!
- Can I pull my hair up? Yes! These extensions are so easy to pull up, more-so than I thought!! I like wearing high ponies now that my hair is long.
- Are they hard to hide? When your hair splits or the wind blows, the NBR weft looks just like real hair – that’s why they are so amazing!! So to answer your question, yes! They’re very easy to hide and when they peek through, they’re not even noticeable unlike other methods like clip-ins and micro-beads.
- What about washing them when I work out? Working out doesn’t effect them, but you don’t want to be washing your hair every day. Dry your hair around your face with a blowdryer and then apply dry shampoo, or just wash your hair around the sides of your face.
- What’s it like to take care of them? I usually wash my hair twice a week already, which is a great time schedule for having extensions. Don’t apply too many products to your hair, both wet or dry unless you realllllly need to, otherwise you’ll ruin the risk of not training your hair properly to last between washes.
- What are some of your favorite hair products? I love THIS dry shampoo and THIS texturizing spray. Also, Kelsie recommends against using Argon Oil on LACED hair, so she recommends using THIS oil! Also, I LOVE T3 hair products, and use THIS hair dryer that has (both with and without extensions) cut my drying time in half, and I can tell that my hair is less static-y and dry after using this for about 6 months. I PROMISE you it is worth the splurge and will save your hair, especially if you use bleach/light color in your hair. I also have THIS super cheap curler that I’ve had for over 4 years – I love it and it’s THE BEST. T3 also have THIS curler that I’ve heard works wonders, if you want to splurge.
so… what do you think!? I’m loving my new hair and can’t believe the transformation, I look like a completely different person! Thank you so much to Kelsie for being such a hair goddess!